For the past 2 ½ years I’ve been lucky to be a part-time Stay-At-Home-Dad (SAHD). On a daily basis it’s afforded me the pleasure of interacting both with those who whine and cry all day, as well as toddlers. I’ve spent a surprising amount of time doing things that I never could have imagined just a few years ago. Like watching the same 3 Pixar movies over and over. And over and over. And that’s just in one day.
The reality is that being a SAHD is a gift. I get to spend quality time with my Little Dude and not worry about the stains on my shirts while out in public, which strangers (usually incorrectly) assume were caused by him. During a recent viewing of Cars, I started thinking about some of the unique characteristics of SAHDs and came up with this short list.
“You Know You’re a SAHD if...”
1) You own what you refer to as your "good" sweatpants.
2) You know about all of the "kids eat free" deals at nearby restaurants and exchange birthday cards with the manager at your local IHOP.
3) Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name and that place is MyGym.
4) You like taking your kids to story time at the library so you can get caught up on 5 games of Words With Friends while they listen to a librarian read 5 books about talking elephants.
5) Your most recent Facebook status update was "jklljhhhhlppnnn".
6) You used to know the names and statistics of all your favorite athletes. Now you know the names and numbers of Thomas the Train and his friends.
7) Your Breaking Bad episodes have accidentally been deleted from your TiVo to make room for additional episodes of Super Why.
8) You are more than a little freaked out by your kid’s seemingly innocuous toys after repeated viewings of Toy Story.
9) The backseat of your car contains more Cheerios than the General Mills factory.
10) You think Sesame Street jumped the shark when Mr. Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle joined the cast.
11) You can justify why dunking your head in the sink and some strategically placed baby powder are just as good as a real shower.
12) You have plenty of time to finish writing a list like this. At 1:30am.
What unique traits do you associate with SAHDs and SAHMs?